The DRS-8 Mic-Pre uses our well proven and loved Class A output stage (DSOP-2), but also has our latest breakthrough in transformerless Class A, Discrete Mic Input Technology which gives a "valve-like" sound.
The DRS-8 is the culmination of over 40 years experience designing Class A circuitry within the Audio Recording Industry.
The DRS-8 is based on the first Phoenix unit the DRS2, this bespoke product was launched by Phoenix Audio (UK) in the U.K. in November 1999, and has enjoyed an almost “cult” following ever since. The Class A output stage (TF1) was originally designed by David Rees, the designer of the famous Neve 2253 Limiter and 2254 Limiter/compressor (amongst many other designs), as a retrofit for Neve modules, and the TF1 has now been superseded by the DSOP2 output stage.
The Class A, discrete, truly balanced, transformerless microphone input stage was designed to out-perform any transformer input for frequency response, yet has all the characteristics expected in a high quality Class A design.
- 8 Channel 2U - 19” Rack-mount unit: With 240V/110V mains voltage input selector switch Inputs
- Connections: Combo XLR/1/4” jack sockets on Rear Panel for Mic inputs, line inputs & DI inputs
- Output connections: XLR's on rear panel
- Additional outputs: 25 pin “D” style connector on the rear panel (wired “Tascam” Standard)
- Gain Range (Mic input): -30 to -70 in 5dB steps With 10dB more available on the fader.
- Gain Meter: LED Metering. 5 LED Meter on each channel (with hysteresis)
- Phantom Power: Switchable 48V phantom on Push-button switch
- High Pass Filter: on Push-button Switch (Roll-off -6dB per octave @ 120Hz)
- Phase Reverse: on Push-button Switch
- Mute: On Push-button switch.
- Mic/Line Push-button switch: Enables Flexibility for input levels.
- Phoenix Audio’s unique Class A, transformerless, True balanced Mic input stage.
- Transformer-balanced Output on each channel: Driven by the Phoenix Audio Class A DSOP-2 fully discrete output stage
- Class A (DSOP-2) Output specs . Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz +- 0.5dB, Maximum
- Output = +26dBu @ 1kHz, Noise = -90dB @ 20Hz to 20kHz.
- Frequency Response Mic Input Stage: -0.4dB @ 40Hz, -0.3dB @ 25kHz e